Joshua’s Birth Story

March 21, 2010 at 9:01 pm 5 comments

Part I

On Wednesday, March 10 at 11:30 pm, I woke up in a puddle.  It was my birthday, and it was also the day after the baby was due.  I got up and went to the bathroom, then came back to bed.  “Ed, I think my water broke.”  Ed sprung out of bed, eyes wide open.  We decided to call the doctor’s office.

Dr. C. was on call, and he suggested that, since I was not yet having contractions, we should stay home and try to get some rest.  We called our moms to let them know our plan.  Ed and I talked excitedly about our baby’s arrival.  By this time tomorrow night, he should be here, and we’ll be home by Saturday!  We then tried our best to get some sleep.

At 4:30 am, contractions woke me up.  Staying in bed was uncomfortable, so I decided to get up and take a shower.  The contractions were irregular, mild and far apart.  I finished packing the bags for the hospital and ate some toast.  We called our moms at around 6:00 am and decided they should come over. 

Dr. C. called at 8:00 am and asked for an update.  We decided that we should go to our previously scheduled appointment for the non-stress test and biophysical profile (ultrasound) at 9:00.  In the mean time, Ed and I started to time the contractions, which were between 3 and 5 minutes apart, lasting for between 15 and 45 seconds.  We left for the doctors office, prepared to be sent into the hospital.

At the office, we saw Dr. A.  She monitored the baby’s heart rate and my contractions for 20 minutes, and confirmed that all was well.  Dr. A. then examined me and said that I was 1 cm dilated, and that she could feel that the amniotic sac was still intact.  She explained that sometimes the chorion (outer membrane) breaks and releases fluid, while the amnion (inner membrane) remains unbroken, keeping the baby surrounded by fluid.  This meant that I wasn’t under any pressure to deliver under a certain timeline, since my water didn’t really break.  An ultrasound confirmed that the bag of water was still intact and that the baby was doing well.

Dr. A. sent us home, explaining that while my contractions were occuring 3 minutes apart, they were still mild and since I was not dilating, I was not in active labor.  I was crushed when she said I was still in pre-labor or very early labor, and told me it looked like it would be a while before we should head to the hospital.

So, we headed home.


Entry filed under: Family. Tags: , .

Say Cheese! Joshua’s Birth Story, Part II

5 Comments Add your own

  • 1. laura  |  March 22, 2010 at 1:57 am

    Awww… I can feel your disappointment with the “not active labor news”! Hope you’re getting some rest tonight… and then I’m very excited to hear the rest! 😀

  • 2. Amber  |  March 22, 2010 at 4:15 am

    This was a big fear of mine – getting sent back home. I can imagine it must have been more than a little discouraging. All the same, I’m glad that you weren’t admitted to the hospital before it was necessary, since you said you didn’t want to be.

    I’m looking forward to reading the rest!

    • 3. Farmer's Daughter  |  March 22, 2010 at 9:07 pm

      That wasn’t the only time we were sent home… part II coming soon 🙂

  • 4. TheSpectrum  |  March 22, 2010 at 6:40 pm

    I can’t wait to read the rest! 41 hours of labor? WHAT? Are you superwoman!? Oh my goodness.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

%d bloggers like this: