Joshua’s Birth Story, Part II

March 22, 2010 at 9:24 pm 3 comments

Read Part I first!

When we arrived home at around noon on Thursday, I burst into tears.  I was so disappointed and discouraged to hear that it would be a while before our baby arrived.  Our moms had gone to the grocery store and made us lunch, then we all did our best to rest as advised by Dr. A.  I napped on and off on the couch, but eventually my contractions got too strong to rest through. 

Ed brought the rocking chair down from the baby’s room, and I rocked through contractions.  I watched “Charlotte’s Web” and dreamed about our little boy while singing along.  I walked around the house to help bring on contractions, then I decided to take a shower to help ease the pain. 

Ed helped me into the shower, but I found it to be more painful than helpful.  Standing up made my contractions come on more strongly, and the confines of the shower didn’t allow me to move around much to work with them.  I really wanted to take a bath, but Dr. A. had advised me to skip the bath, even though my membranes were technically still intact.

I went back downstairs and continued to walk around the house with my mom or Ed for support during contractions.  I was determined to keep labor moving along.  My contractions picked up in intensity, still coming every 3 minutes and lasting for 45 seconds to a minute.  At around 5:30, we decided to go to the hospital.  Our moms came along with us and excitedly called our dads and a few other relatives.

At the hospital, I refused a wheel chair.  I’m not sick, I’m in labor!  We went to the labor and delivery floor and were admitted to the Early Labor Lounge, where a nurse hooked me up to a fetal monitor for 20 minutes and checked my progress.  Laying in bed during contractions was the worst, but I was happy to know it would soon be over and I’d be able to move around again. 

Dr. R. was on call and came in to speak to me.  He explained that, while I was clearly experiencing regular contractions that were more intense than earlier, I was still only 1 cm dilated.  He then presented us with two options: stay or go home.  If we chose to stay, I’d be able to walk the halls of the hospital to move things along.  If we chose to go home, I’d be able to try to rest and walk around at home.  Dr. R. said, knowing that I wanted a natural birth, I should go home and do my best to rest, because being admitted to the hospital too soon would increase my chances of interventions, including a C-section. 

The choice for us was clear, but also crushing: go home.  Again.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Pregnancy. Tags: , .

Joshua’s Birth Story Joshua’s Birth Story, Part III

3 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Amber  |  March 23, 2010 at 3:35 am

    How discouraging! I’m glad that your wishes for a natural birth were respected, but I can imagine that you wouldn’t want to be sent home twice.

    I can’t wait to hear the rest. I have seen photos of Joshua, so I know that in spite of the slow beginning this story has a very happy ending. 🙂

    Reply
  • 2. Julie  |  March 23, 2010 at 3:55 pm

    Oh no! That would be so tough. I’m looking forward to the rest of your story… (when you have time, of course! NO PRESSURE!)

    Reply
  • 3. Amy  |  March 23, 2010 at 7:34 pm

    I am glad you were able to make your own choice.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed



%d bloggers like this: