Joshua’s Birth Story, Part III

March 23, 2010 at 7:30 pm 4 comments

Read the whole story, up to this point, here!

On the way home from the hospital, I realized that I was fighting the contractions, tensing up instead of letting them do the work that needed to be done.  I needed to make more of an effort to relax and give in to labor.  Ed was disappointed and tense, too.

When we got home, I decided to take a bath even though my doctors said they’d prefer I take a shower.  My water wasn’t broken and I knew it would relax me, so I got in the hot tub.  Meanwhile, our moms fixed some snacks.  Ed brought up a sandwich, a big glass of water and a popsicle, and I ate in the tub.  The warm water helped to relax me for a little while, but then laying on my back in the water got to be too painful.  I tried to get into different positions, but it was hard to maneuver with my big belly and regular contractions. 

Ed and I wanted to try to get some sleep, so we got into bed.  I figured I could lay on my side and try to relax and let go with the contractions.  Staying still proved to be uncomfortable, so I let Ed sleep and got up to go downstairs.

Our moms helped me breathe through contractions as I rocked in the rocking chair.  They both had natural births and studied Lamaze, so we tried different breathing techniques to get through each contraction.  They counted for me as I breathed in and out, and eventually they decided to start timing contractions.  I was so tired that I’d doze for the minute or two between contractions, then wake up as each one started.

At around 1 am, my contractions were much more intense.  I found it really difficult to breathe through them, crying out as I exhaled.  After doing our best to relax, breathe, and rest in between for another hour or so, we decided it was time to go to the hospital.  I was happy Ed had gotten some sleep, because I wanted him to be rested to help me during active labor.

The ride to the hospital was so uncomfortable.  I couldn’t move, thanks to the seatbelt, and I had contractions coming every 2-3 minutes.  Ed counted to help me pace my breathing, but it was really hard to stay focused.  When we got to the hospital, I happily got into a wheelchair and Ed pushed me up to the Early Labor Lounge. 

We saw Dr. R. again, my contractions and the baby’s heart rate were monitored for 20 minutes, and we learned that I was finally dilating.  My worst fear was being sent home for a third time, so I was very happy to hear that I was 3 cm dilated and they would admit me to Labor and Delivery.


Entry filed under: Pregnancy. Tags: , , .

Joshua’s Birth Story, Part II Snuggle

4 Comments Add your own

  • 1. laura  |  March 24, 2010 at 12:35 am

    Whoo! I can’t imagine a car ride while in labor… I could barely walk from the sink to the tub (a whole 2 feet!). Did you think that vocalizing helped you? Matt said that he thought that the more I moaned with the contractions that I actually progressed more.

  • 2. Amber  |  March 24, 2010 at 12:50 am

    Hooray! Things are looking up.

    I can’t wait to read the rest. 🙂

  • 3. Julie  |  March 24, 2010 at 1:23 pm

    It sounds like you had a wonderful support system. That’s awesome.

  • 4. Ruth  |  March 25, 2010 at 10:53 am

    A most unforgettable night! Abbie, you are so generous to share your story here.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

%d bloggers like this: